By Naser Ashknani, Sulieman Al Fuhaid & Basil Al Herz
Cold flow testing is primarily conducted to check the propulsion subsystem of a rocket without actual combustion, it also provides the flow rate of propellants and it is a test for leakage and design integrity.
What are we testing
Our cold flow test is a water mass flow rate test for the difference in pressure. This test is conducted to design the injector manifold of the liquid propellant rocket engine.
Specifications of water tank:
Material: Schedule 40 Steel
Threading: Both ends with 1/8 inch tapered threading ( NPT Thread )
1. Connect a steel braided high pressure hose to the bottom side of the tank, through a AN fitting.
2.Connect asolenoid valve to the hose.
3.Connect the injector to the solenoid valve.
4. Connect a quick disconnect fitting on the upper side thread of the tank.
5. Fill tank with water using a garden hose, by attaching it to the quick disconnect fitting.
6. Pressurize the tank to 90 psi, by using an air compressor.
7. Place the injector inside an empty container.
8. Connect the solenoid valve to a 12v power source.
9. Remove the power source after 20.2 sec, and calculate the mass flow rate.